Old September 9th 06, 06:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Carol Hague

Default Questions about recumbent trikes

Typhoon Longwang wrote:

DougC wrote:
Speaking for US-oriented examples--
The tadpoles tend to be lighter overall and more performance-oriented.

This is true, IMO. In my experience, tadpoles are much more stable when
cornering at speed. I have no problems taking certain sweeping turns
around here on my tadpole at 30 mph, but I'd have to change my shorts
(probably after I got out of the hospital) if I tried the same thing on
most deltas.

The reason for that is that the failure mode (i.e. when it's most likely
to tip over) of a delta is cornering downhill at speed, whereas the
failure mode of a tadpole is cornering *uphill* at speed, which, for
most of us is a fair bit less likely :-)

--
Carol
"I can't stress this enough. Edible ball bearings. Masterpiece."