Old September 4th 13, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Is Mike Andaman finally dead?

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Well, if you didn't bother to read the report, as I suspected,

what do you expect ?? Read the whole thing ... the researcher actually
bothered to do some real research and measure what was really happening.
It was on that basis that he reported that the issues were perceptual rather
than real.

I am too busy contemplating my navel to read any mountain
biker propaganda.

Firstly, it's not propaganda, it's research ... proper research where premises and conclusions are tested rather than simply asserted. Secondly, whilst you are of course entitled to read what you wish, perhaps you should not refer to material you haven't bothered to read.

I only referred to what was in your post. There was nothing wrong with the premises, but the conclusions were all wacky. Just goes to show how things work when you have already made up your mind. It works that way with facts too when you select only those facts that matter to you.

Mountain bikers do not care about damage to the trails and the
environment any more than do motorcyclists. Only hikers care about that sort of
thing.

Care to justify this or is this more of your 'common sense' ?

Cyclists and motorcyclists are constantly fussing with trails to make them easier to ride. After all, going on wheels is not the same thing as putting one foot in front of another. Glad I was able to clear that up for you. Common sense wins over nonsense every time.

Mountain bikes travel a lot, lot faster than walkers. Try to
make some sense from time to time why don’t you!

They travel about twice as fast, on average, as hikers. That's not so great a difference; 4mph vs 8mph.

Bikes are much faster than walking although it depends to some extent on the nature of the trail. I would guess bikes are about 5 to 10 times faster on a flat trail and as a result can cover much greater distances. That is also not a good thing. It should take some time and effort to reach a great distance on a trail.

Speed also applies to mountain bikes. As a group all bikers
tend to be rowdy and noisy besides.

More assertions Ed ... and backup for this prejudice ?

Hikers often walk alone. Bikers ride in groups. They are like children. All they care about is competing with one another and having a good time – which means having a noisy time. Morons never think they can have a good time unless they are making lots of noise. Their true home is an amusement park, not a National Park.

Trails in natural areas are for communing with nature – period. Anyone who is on a park or wilderness trail for any other purpose is a fool and a jackass.

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great