Old August 5th 19, 09:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Handebar broke off - nasty cash

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 3:38:39 AM UTC+1, Chalo wrote:
I would have to consider giving up riding if I could only use drop bars. But if that weren't the case, I think the latest trend towards 31.8mm bars with gradual tapers to the grip sections would be the best news in a long time. Get one of those that isn't too light and isn't made of plastic, and worry not.

My daily rider these days has bars that are 22.2mm throughout, made of chromoly, and not remotely lightweight. Branded Specialized and made by Nitto about thirty-five years ago.

We have a government-supported bicycle scheme whereby workers can get a subsidy of a bicycle they intend to ride to work. At least one LBS where I saw the process, sell these people an entirely unsuitable bike for a commuter, and then sell them drop bars among other expensive extras, and charge them for unboxing the bike they'll actually ride away. I bought a bunch of North Road handlebars that had been on those bikes for a fiver each, and resolved to give that LBS a miss; I could understand how he bragged to me that he belonged to six "exclusive and expensive" gyms.

The handlebars are Uno-Kalloy, steel, and have served me faithfully for many years.

Then I bought a Swiss n'lock kit (it unlocks the stem from the steerer tube and thus makes the big unrideable and less attractive to thieves) and my kit came with a set of North Road bars with a cable inside (very neat packaging -- you pull out the cable and one end remains inside the hendlebar and the spike in the loose end fits in a hole which is locked.released by the key which operated the rest of the n'lock) and guess what -- the bars were the same Uno Kalloy steel bars I already have, only painted in a smarter black. These have been in use for ten years and show little sign of wear.

I would never dare use aluminum bars that long, if you could get me to use them at all. As for carbon fibre, pull the other one.

Andre Jute
Not reckless