Old August 6th 19, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Well the bike did it so maybe someone knows

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 11:21:37 AM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:
I wiped out on ice almost 4 years ago broke my hip. Well as it turned out I managed ok not dislocated and I have 3 Stainless Steel Cannulated screws in my right hip. I guess I don't notice and no scar but I have to travel by plane for first time since.

Will these screws since stainless steel set off the detector? Should I tell them ahead of time or just go through? \

Deacon Mark

It depends on the scanner. The conventional walk-through metal detectors are usually not that sensitive, although they will pick up a major joint like a hip.

The full body scanners don't really care -- the operator sees the implant and clears you through. Either way, its no big deal -- three screws are pretty innocuous. At worst, it would be a minor delay to get wanded and/or that bomb residue test. Stay away from fertilizer before your flight!

I always set off the metal detector at the federal courthouse but practically never at an airport. I have a rod, plate and screws in my right leg, plate and screws in my left ankle and a teeny plate and screws in my hand (skiing, skiing and cycling). TSA rarely bugs me, but then again, I have TSA pre now, and I can go through those lanes with my belt and shoes on. But even in the olden days, I rarely triggered the metal detectors.

-- Jay Beattie.