Old August 12th 19, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Is Shimano chain quality dropping?

On 8/11/2019 1:33 PM, sms wrote:
On 8/11/2019 11:00 AM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you:

https://www.amazon.com/Ventura-Speed.../dp/B00ZHYFMXY

While I'm sure your shop has a supply of 5 and 6 speed
freewheels, the shops around here are not stocking parts for
bicycles that are no longer often coming in for repairs.
They would offer to order it from QBP and it would arrive in
1-2 weeks. They would also try to sell you a 7/8 speed
narrow chain with assurances that it would work fine even
though, as you said, "shifting suffers."

With all the complaints from some LBS owners about people
shopping online, the reality is that it's often because the
LBS simply can't stock all the esoteric parts and
accessories that could sit on the shelf for years before
someone bought them.

I ordered a SRAM 10.5mm x 26 tpi axle nut from you after
trying a bunch of local shops, most of which didn't know
what the heck I was talking about. Nor did most shops know
that a 13/32" x 26TPI Sturmey-Archer nut would work
satisfactorily.

A California 94XXX shop should be using your local product,
IRD freewheels, in 5, 6 7 speed. Could get delivery by bike
messenger in a couple hours I would think.

http://www.interlocracing.com/casset...eels-567-speed

As of last Friday, there are very exciting new IRD sizes,
including 26t low gear, none of which have been made in any
brand freewheel anywhere on earth for over twenty years.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/