Old August 13th 19, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Bad rear derailleur???

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 7:56:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 9:15:27 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

Get your eye behind the rear changer and see if the cage is
parallel to the chainrings.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Gosh darn Andy, I'm beginning to suspect maybe you know what you are talking about. I put my Park rear derailleur hanger tool on the rear hanger. And G-d D-mn it was so crooked. I got it back to being perfectly aligned. Its a steel hanger that is welded right onto the steel frame. So easy to bend it right. With the hanger being so bent, I can't figure out how rear shifting was perfectly fine for the first 30 miles of the ride. All shifts perfect. I'd think a crooked rear hanger would not shift right.

That's why a crooked derailleur hanger doesn't make sense -- it doesn't just occur unless you dropped the bike or hit something. An outside possibility is that you got something into the derailleur that dragged it into the wheel and bent the hanger, but when that happens, the derailleur is usually ruined and wound around your cassettes or in the spokes. My first thought was that your cable was in the process of failing.

-- Jay Beattie.