Old June 7th 09, 04:34 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

Default Just did my first long haul mountain bike ride 19 days :)

Kathy and Steve wrote:

Well there is a little group of us up here - I am the baby at 51yrs and our
oldest rider is 64. Last year they crossed the Gulf of Carpentaria, some
cross country, no roads, just map and compass. We dont have back up, you
take all your gear on the bike. This year we have done a wonderful trip from
Atherton, Mt Garnet, Minomooka, down to Mt Fox, up to Ingham, across the
Cardwell Range (our only bitumen run ) then back up the Kirrama Range and
home. It was a wonderful 19days of hills, creeks,camping under the stars. We
posted dry food to 2 stations and had an absolute splurge in the food shops
in both Cardwell and Ingham. Although I have done a bit of touring on my
Trek Hybrid this was a first for me on my new Giant Alias MTB compliments of
the Kevin Rudd $900. I call my trusty steed "Kevvie"LOL. I am now planning
our next off road adventure - what fun
kathy

Your adventure brings back memories from 1972 when I rode a BMW to
Cairns and back. The warm nights were wonderful at 120kph.
I do so wonder how the heck I survived. I wouldn't dream of buying
another motorcycle again. If you are down our way in Canberra, turn up
at Dickson College car park before 8am winter or 7am summer and do a
ride with us. We stick to roads though. But there is a big mountain bike
scene here if you like dry bushland, and mountain ranges which are
snowcapped in winter.
Today was a little ride of 60km, starting at 8C, and with drizzle rain
and 10C on the return. I had a puncture. But sometimes its -3C at 8am.
No wonder only the hardy ppl turn up in winter, and not many females.

I'm glad I didn't vote for Kevvie though. I'm not old enough to have
gotten the pensioner's hand out and I wasn't elligible for the $900 gift
to workers even though I earnt a wage and had a tax return. But I don't
vote Liberal either because they have no ideas. Nobody voted for Kevin
to spend 300 billion on the national credit card and bum out over carbon
reductions so bring on the double dissolution!
Oh what fun awaits Kevin........

Patrick Turner.