Old January 16th 19, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Electric dangers

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 17:14:43 -0800, Mark J. wrote:

On 1/14/2019 3:22 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 13:36:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/14/...de-news-man-s-

electric-bike-explodes-almost-starts-bushfire

I liked the part where it was said that "The motor's lithium batteries
and CO2 cartridges from its repair kit had ignited".

I suspect that the reporter might have a bit at odds with the facts at
that point.

I noticed that too; I think the intent was "batteries ignited and CO2
cartridges /exploded/," which fits the later text and makes sense in
context. Then an editor caught hold of it.

Mark J.

ALL gas sylinders explode over here, even though they are engineered to
vent the contents at too high a pressure. IME, CO2 cartridges don't have
that enginering, so theryprobably did explode. Situated above the
flamming battery probably wasn't a good position in this case.