Old January 16th 19, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Electric dangers

news18 wrote:
:On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 17:14:43 -0800, Mark J. wrote:

: On 1/14/2019 3:22 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
: On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 13:36:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski
: wrote:
:
: https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/14/...de-news-man-s-
:electric-bike-explodes-almost-starts-bushfire
:
: I liked the part where it was said that "The motor's lithium batteries
: and CO2 cartridges from its repair kit had ignited".
:
: I suspect that the reporter might have a bit at odds with the facts at
: that point.
:
: I noticed that too; I think the intent was "batteries ignited and CO2
: cartridges /exploded/," which fits the later text and makes sense in
: context. Then an editor caught hold of it.
:
: Mark J.

:ALL gas sylinders explode over here, even though they are engineered to
:vent the contents at too high a pressure. IME, CO2 cartridges don't have
:that enginering, so theryprobably did explode. Situated above the
:flamming battery probably wasn't a good position in this case.

I've seen morons throw 16 g CO2 cartridges into a fire. They burst,
at the end where they're punctured by the inflator. I assume that's
intentional. They do fly a long way though....

--
sig 28