Old July 8th 20, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default nifty multitool

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 12:50:25 AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 12:31:00 AM UTC+2, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 8:34:04 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 10:57:13 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
wrote:

Fits into the hollow axes of the GRX crankset and is held by a magnet:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJcKwKxXXKRo6eyS9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sSganYNLo3a5R3SG6

Lou

Nice:
https://www.allinmultitool.com
https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/multitool-fits-inside-crank-spindle-adds-bike-chain-breaker/
68 Euros.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Having ridden a great deal of gravel in my time I can't figure out why the GRX cranks would be set-up for cyclocross rather than gravel.

I'm not sure what you mean but my Ultegra crankset on my crossbike have 46/36T chainrings and the GRX crankset on my gravel bike 48/31T chainrings. I think both cranks are suitable for both kind of riding. It is all about the cassette. I have a lower gear with the GRX crankset combined with a 14-28 cassette than I have with my Ultegra cross crankset with a 11-32 cassette and the 14-28 cassette has smaller jumps betweem the gears. I think the GRX crankset makes a very nice gear set up.

99% of gravel rides are on flat or nearly so ground. That means that a gravel bike should be setup to ride at a reasonable speed on the normal road - or a compact 50-34. The 48-31 of the GRX cranks is altogether wrong for a gravel bike though pretty good for an 11-speed cyclocross bike.