Old April 20th 10, 08:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Graham

Default Ultegra shifter problem

"gary" wrote in message ...
On Apr 16, 12:59am, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
"gary" wrote in message

graham,

[snip]
you were dead on as far as the screw being missing. flipped the bike
over
and the left STI had the screw in place. however, the right STI (the
one i'm
having problems with) was missing the screw.

[snip]

you said "that screw on my STI came loose". did you mean that it
actually
fell out like mine or was just loose? i would think that if it was
just loose
but still present the shifter would still work.

[snip]

if not, they might be able to "create
one" like they did for kerry. going to put some loc-tite on it also.

[snip]

Mine initially came loose - very loose when I first had the problem. After tightening it the problem went away but returned. This time the screw had gone. I then did what you are thinking of doing and having made a replacement screw from one of the same thread but longer I used loc-tite and so far so good.

I think because Shimano moved to a hexagon head screw with locking tabs this is a known design fault.

Another poster did mention the screw that secures shimano brake pads into their shoes works.

Graham.