Old April 2nd 14, 12:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
James[_8_]

Default Southern cross drive accident

On 21/03/14 10:13, Trent W. Buck wrote:
Stuart Longland writes:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:29:02 +1100, F Murtz wrote:

Was this where an alternative bicycle track exists ?

I'm not familiar with the area but some cyclists will still choose the
road when a track exists as the road is usually better maintained and
free from debris.

Particularly racing bikes, as they run high pressure tyres and are
more susceptible to punctures.

(I stick to the footpath unless circumstances require it though, as a
courtesy to drivers.)

And because a bike/ped collision is safer for everyone than a bike/car
collision, and (situation dependent) less likely besides.

Though I've bounced off a few cars over the last 25+years of riding,
I've only ever damaged myself landing on the road.

I know of several folks who have been seriously injured while riding on
bicycle tracks, including a fatality.

I don't think bike paths are as safe as you believe.

--
JS