Old November 12th 03, 09:52 AM
Ron Hardin

Default Bicycle Roadside Assistance Clubs?

What's wrong with taking a cab? No premium. They're eager to help.
You only pay in years you need them.

I myself just walk home, and no longer carry a tire kit, since my
commute doesn't go impossibly far from home, just a few hours' walk.
Once or twice a year I walk. No hassle with expired rubber cement
on the road. People stop and offer a ride, which I turn down because
I actually like walking once in a while; but they see me every day
and are eager to help.

A genuinely disabling breakdown is _very_ rare though, if you carry
the usual tools and tubes. Say a derailleur sucking itself into the
spokes; that's pretty disabling. But I've ridden 60 miles home with
a broken rear axle, and with a pedal that broke loose from its bearings,
and a freewheel with broken pawls (tie freewheel to spokes; ruins wheel
but gets you home).
--
Ron Hardin