Old February 9th 08, 03:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Romain

Default Plastic Floating in the Pacific!

I agree Jeff, plastic was the way to save trees, now look at it. LOL

We use re-usable 'woven tarp like' plastic bags made from recycled
plastic for groceries. They hold a lot and seem to last a long time.

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:
I would like to direct your attention to the '70s, if I may.

Back then, the problem was paper bags eating up trees at an alarming
rate, so they came up with plastic bags because of ENVIRONMENTAL
concerns -- paper eats trees, eating trees is bad for the environment,
so let's use plastic and save the trees. Not a bad argument as arguments
go, and I generally answered the question, "paper or plastic?" with,
"plastic, please."

Now, I am the bad guy again because plastic floats.

Environmentalism comes with a wealth of unintended consequences -- we
save a tree but spoil the water, make electricity from wind but chop up
a bird, (leaping forward a few decades ... ) drive fuel cell cars and
flood the side of the road -- that seem to be worse than the problem we
wanted to remedy when we embarked on the environmentalist agenda.

Having said that, it is refreshing to see Vandeman get excited about a
real issue ...

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
http://marine-litter.gpa.unep.org/documents/World's_largest_landfill.pdf

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you
are fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande