Old March 12th 19, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default GPS Units = Show road steepness?

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 7:32:42 PM UTC-4, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 13:56:42 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 4:23:58 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 11:09:47 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 3:18:06 PM UTC+1, duane wrote:
On 11/03/2019 9:24 a.m., wrote:
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 2:52:23 AM UTC+1, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:01:13 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/10/2019 6:29 PM,
wrote:

GPS can show the actual gradient but it uses some sort of averaging algorithm which means it has a delay. This makes it pretty useless IMO. Besides this what are you gonna do if you know the exact gradient at that moment? GPS can tell you exactly were you are. For navigation you need a routable map and navigation software. Often people have a too high expectations of a GPS based cycling computer and end up never using the navigation capability and just have an expensive cycling computer or head unit as they are called now because speed sensors, cadence sensors, power meters, radar, lights, action camera's, HRM and your phone all connect to the unit and show their information on the head unit or can be operated using the head unit.

What?? No television??

The Electric Bike Worldwide Report predicts that the electric bike
industry is poised to grow to 2 billion by 2050. Eventually 84 million
e-bikes could be sold each year.

One can envision a day when bicycles will be totally enclosed and
equipped with air conditioning and stereophonic sound :-)

One can only assume that once the electric bike is established riding
a bicycle will equate with the exercise value of sitting in front of
the T.V.

--
Cheers,
John B.

40% of the bike sales last year in The Netherlands was an electric assisted bike. Get used to it.

A riding buddy of mine got his wife an e-bike last year. She used to
complain about his spending time on his bike. Now she's the one pushing
to ride. I'm not ready for one but I wouldn't necessarily equate an
e-bike with sitting in front of the T.V.

It is certainly not the same as sitting in front of the TV. You may make fun of it but the introduction of the E bike gave cycling an enormous boost in the last 5 years even here in The Netherlands. That is a good thing. Bike sales are way up.

Lou

I hate people on eBikes. But then again, I hate people on regular bikes. Traffic is traffic. With eBikes, though, you end up with otherwise unskilled riders who ride really fast in bike traffic. Fast dopes. Really fast unassisted riders are generally skilled -- not always, but generally. Imagine a pack of eBikers. It would make a Cat 5 race look safe.

-- Jay Beattie.

I just LOVE those ebikers who zoom up and pass you on the right

just as you're moving to the right. There's a intersection here in
town that's like a shallow with the right hand lane going onto
another street and that lane is right hand only no through traffic. So
many times I've nearly been hit as I continued along the straight
through lane and then begun to move to my right to allow the big
trucks room. That's because some idiot ebiker (and sometimes a regular
bicyclist) continues straight instead of following the right hand lane
onto the other road like they're supposed to. Being passed on the
right is NOT something you normally expect to happen on the road or
trail yet a large n umber of ebikers I've seen do precisely that.
That's not to mention other illegal and dangerous behaviours I see
them do on the roads. I often wonder if eventually ebikes will require
a license in order to operate? Like you said a fast unskilled rider on
an ebike can be a hazard to everyone else in
their vicinity.

Cheers

Singapore requires e-bikes to be registered and carry a registration
plate and imposes a speed limit which is enforced, the penalty is a
$1,000 fine and/or a three month jail sentence. The speed limit is
10kph on foot paths and 25kph on "shared paths".

--
Cheers,
John B.

Sounds like what we are going to need here. How about bicycles? Do those require registration too?

Cheers