Old March 13th 19, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default The death of rim brakes?

On 2019-03-10 06:34, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically
all disc
brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone
but maybe I
am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look
and
certainly for a long time parts will be around but are
these rim
brakes a dead deal.

Disc brakes are simply better. Take a look around around
automotive and motorcycles. How many new cars and
motorcycles are there that still have drum brakes in front?

On Sunday I experienced the umpteenth reminder why rim
brakes are inferior. We had to cross some unpaved area on
the road bikes and it had rained. Muddy. Afterwards a
descent on pavement, I reached in and after the usual and
expected one-second of zero brake action the rim brakes came
on. There was an awful grinding noise, you could literally
hear aluminum being eaten.

If I ever need a new road bike it will have disc brakes or I
won't buy.

How many new bicycles have drum brakes? Vanishingly few.

This was just meant as an example. Bicycles have largely remained in the
stone age, like chuck wagons where a chunk of wood pressed against the
steel ring of the wheels to brake. So bicycles kind of skipped a technology.

Supposedly there are bikes used for a long downhill ride in Hawaii that
all have large drum brakes because anything else would overheat.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/