Old April 9th 18, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Which FD with cable stop to get

On 4/9/2018 4:09 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
The factory triple on my Fuji S12-s uses a single set of bolts, 110. Oldskool? It came with 53-44-36. I replaced the 36 with a 34 and the freewheel with a 13-
32 but 34-32 is still steeper than I want to push uphill fully loaded.

When the local Schwinn dealer went out of business there was a suntour superbe pro 73x113 BB for $5... I knew I'd use it someday... but actually the races are further apart than on the stocker, and so once installed there is a lot of adjustable-side cup sticking out, and I'm worried that it doesn't have enuf threads in. I should have counted how many threads it went in.

A Sugino XD tandem-stoker-right side 110/74 triple from ebay went on it, but
now the chain is straight when on the middle ring and 2nd smallest cog, not
the 3rd or 4th, and the front derailer doesn't want to shift onto the big ring.
So it is a bit further out.

Without considering the FD I bought a 24T 74mm ring. In hindsight I guess obviously these are intended for mtb bikes with a big ring down in the 40s. Of course there is a lot of noise from the chain on the lowest part of the cage when on the 24. In fact it looks like it is touching when on the 34T altho I don't remember hearing it. So OK, with the granny gear on there now I need an FD with more capacity. Or swap the 53 for a 44. No prob I have FDs in my parts bin, 90's ultegra and 105, an exage400. But they are all doubles except maybe the 400. And... they don't have cable stops.

Ebay descriptions show that shimano triples have 20T capacity. Including RSX 7x
3spd. With 53-34-24 rings I need 29T. K, replace the 53 with a 50. If I get a 28T that brings it to 22T. I think I saw on google that most shimano FDs are 20 but there are 22s. I also see that XT MTB FDs are at least sometimes 26T capacity including m700 series I think. But googling Shimano FD-M735 - that would be the 7 spd one, I guess - and clicking Images, uh, I don't -think- I see a cable stop.

K so I guess I can't use a modern FD at all. Going back to ebay and searching f
or 28.6 FDs I see them down to $5.99 for sunrace; putting the question of what those are aside, suntour anything is vintage now, and likely to have cable stops, so searching ebay for suntour triple FDs to look for capacity I see there is not only superbe pro and XCPro but also "vintage" Cyclone, "vintage" Mounttech, and Maeda, ... and "vintage" SI, and SCM, and others. I looked at Sheldons site but there was no great chart or listings of FD capacities.

So, ... while I continue to sift thru them with ebay and google... which FD, uh,
if any, would represent an upgrade over the stock? Are there any newer FDs tha
t have cable stops, an if not, which older FD has the largest capacity, and if t
hey are all gonna be 20 at best, which of those older "vintage" lines is best?
Didn't Jobst write "A modern tourney would be better than any of them" about som
ething - would that apply to this? Tourney means axle-mount rear der, rite? So
would a tourney FD have a cable stop?

The one that came off there says Suntour NSL on the front, and Maeda industries on the back.

There's at least one point on which I can help and I think
you'd probably take my advice.

Run your gear wire straight under the BB and up the back
side to the FD. Add a drop of oil now and again and don't
obsess about FD with casing stop.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/