Old November 11th 18, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Chain wear and cassette question

On 2018-11-10 17:06, jbeattie wrote:

Snipped
I think the pins could be removed with Joerg's patented nail and
a hammer, and the silver pin is a screw. It looks like the
Sunrace people are trying to accommodate the build-a-beater set.

If they aren't screws they have to be drilled out. With a nail or
a punch you'd bend cogs.

Snipped

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I've separated many cassette cogs by grinding of the heads of the
pins behind the largest cog and then tapping the remaining pin until
there was enough to grab with a pliers or small Vice-grip and pulled
the pins out and I did that without EVER bending a cog. It only takes
a tap to start the pin out once the head is ground off.

That's what I meant. They have to either be ground off or drilled. Then
they can either be punched out the rest of the way with very little
force or grabbed with pliers. In the old days there were three long
screws which saved a couple of minute during that job. It's easy either
way as long as they didn't cluster the largest cogs onto a spider.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You do NOT need to drill out the entire pin. All you need to do is grind or even file off the end that's on the outside of the largest cog. I've done both. Then you simply place your punch or even a nail against the pin that's still in the hole and then gently tap the punch or nail to start the pinb out. When it's started you simply turn the cogset over and pull out the remaining pin. It takes but a few seconds once the pin heads are off to extract those pins. You do NOT need a massive hammer/rock or a lot of force. There's absolutely no reason why you should bend any cog whilst getting the pins out. Unless of course you don't remove the heads of the pins first that is.

Sheesh but some people make a simple thing sound like such a difficult chore.

Cheers