Old December 1st 18, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Noise from new Sunrace cassette

On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 6:40:36 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/30/2018 5:03 PM, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 07:44:31 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 11/29/2018 10:15 PM, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 21:30:34 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 06:34:46 +0700, John B. slocomb
wrote:

I can't remember exactly, but I certainly have never had much, if any,
problems with using any sort of shifter. The friction shift lever
undoubtedly moves a lesser distance with more gears but I can't say
that I notice it. You just reach down and move the lever about "that
much" and you are in the next gear.

I have friction shifting on my road bike and index shifting on the BSO
I use as a pedal-powered wheelchair.

As far as I've been able to tell, index shifting has exactly one
advantage over friction shifting.

I wore out a drivetrain learning how to friction shift.

I goggled "BSO" and came up with Bangkok Symphony Orchestra, Boston
Symphony Orchestra and Baltimore Symphony Orchestra :-)

Bicycle Shaped Object.

But what in the world is a "bicycle shaped object". some sort of
garden or front lawn ornament?

It can't possible be a two wheel transportation device as that is a
bicycle, isn't it?

Maybe, depending on what 'is' is:

https://www.amazon.com/Huffy-Hardtai...mountain+bikes

You have to admit it _does_ look a lot like a bicycle.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Okay but how would that bike or components last if someone took it off road on rugged trails? I remember many department store BSO's (before suspension forks) where the front fork would bend way forward if the bicycle was ridden off anything more than a few inches in height. I also remember department store bicycle suspension forks that bottomed out if a person standing beside the bicycle pushed down hard on the handlebar - there was no adjustment to those forks either. To me and to others who worked at bicycle shops in the area those department store bicycles were referred to as BSO's = Bicycle Shaped Objects. Oh, that's not to mention the difficulty in keeping the two derailleurs adjusted so that shifts were precise and when you wanted them or wheels that went out of true very easily.

Cheers