Old December 1st 18, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tube cement, which brand is best?

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 11:23:31 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 2018-11-30 09:01,
wrote:
On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 12:50:52 PM UTC-5, Joerg
wrote:
I've got a bunch of patch kits that contain yellow
"Propatch"
cement tubes. On Sunday I had to use a kit, as usual for
another
rider. We found the hole, sanded the tube, opened the
li'l cement
tube ... phuffff ... only air was left inside. It was
inside an
extra plastic wrap and all, didn't help. So we had to use
my spare
tube.

Do you guys know a brand that is better and where a bunch
of these
little tubes could be bought sans patches? Not so much
for me but
for other riders because many reported similar problems.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

The cement and patch are designed to work with one
another. There are
chemicals on the patch that are activated by chemicals in
the cement.
Different manufacturers use different activators. You will
get best
results, if you don't mix manufacturers.

I've found the Rema Tip-Top patches with their tubes of cold
vulcanizing fluid to work extremely well.

After recommendations in this NG I bought a larger pot with
tube cement and with a dabbing tool mounted inside the lid.
I have used that on various patches and it worked well. It's
just way to large to carry along in a pannier.

Wrong pannier:

https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMP

67 liters.

Huh? Wrong place for that comment I think. Though that looks like a really first rate pannier that won't hit the back of your heals while you're riding.

Joerg said there wasn't room in his bag for a tin of cement.
The Jandd panniers could hold 90 or so tins!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Those things look to me like a fairing for a recumbent tricycle.