Old December 2nd 18, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Tube cement, which brand is best?

On 12/2/18 5:23 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/2/2018 8:37 AM, patrick wrote:
So is it consensus that the route for the escape of the aromatic
component is the screw top or the crimp bottom of the tube?Â*Â*Â*Â* Pat

Consensus? In this group??

Tubes are initially sealed at the top with molded-in metal caps - i.e.
the bit that you poke to open with the outer edge of the plastic cap. So
if a tube goes dry without being opened, I suspect it's leaked through
the crimp, unless it's been battered in a bike bag and developed a tiny
hole. But I must say, I can't remember having an unopened tube dry out.

I think in almost all other cases, it's simply the cap not re-sealing well.

If I had lots of problems with glue drying out, I might try putting a
bit of aluminum foil over the opening before screwing the cap down
tight, on the theory that the metal is less permeable than the plastic.
But like most things discussed at length here, this just isn't a major
problem for me.

They never seem to last much over a year once opened ime. I buy small,
arguably one use tubes now as the M+s are a *long* way between punctures.