Old May 8th 06, 03:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Can't Use Helmets in the Sun????

In article .com,
says...

Ozark Bicycle wrote:

The marketeers would like you to believe that you should replace your
helmet if:

- You drop it
- You leave it in a hot car
- It is exposed to UV
- It is more than X years old
etc., etc.

The truth is that most helmets are *very* profitable and thay will say
and do nearly anything to get you to ditch the one you have now and buy
a new one.

Just use common sense

Right -- I was only wondering, though, how they could sound as if
they're admitting that their helmets are useless! I mean, I was always
suspicious of mere styrofoam, but if even they themselves will say that
mere sunlight and heat can damage it -- and thus negate the whole point
of wearing one...well, I dunno, maybe helmets are for dummies who can't
see the contradiction in that!

By "heat", I would assume that they're referring to what it might get
sitting on a steam radiator in your house, or on the dash of your
closed-up car in the middle of the summer. Not what it would get from
you wearing it during the summer.

newsgroups if possible).