Old August 7th 19, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Why did rear derailleur cable move from top to bottom of chainstay?

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 2:04:48 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 07:34:48 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I was looking at a couple of my old bicycle frames with the rear derailleur
cable routed along the top of the chainstay. I'm curious now. Why did the
rear derailleur cable routing get moved to under the chainstay?
Cheers

My guess(tm) is that someone tried to use their bicycle as a ladder.
They stepped on the right rear chainstay, tripped over the derailleur
cable, crash landed, and sued everyone involved. In honor of this
event, the bicycle manufacturer probably moved the derailleur cable to
a less hazardous location to avoid further litigation.

Topic drift follows...

Some manufacturers may have decided that locating moving parts in the
"mud zone" is somehow a great idea. Here is a Specialized Stump
Jumper with both the drailleur cable and the rear brake positioned for
maximum exposure to mud, rain, dust, rocks, gravel, tar, etc.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/Specialized-StumpJumper02.html
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/Specialized-StumpJumper.html
Extra credit for using rather small rear brake pads.

I would normally guess(tm) that such a brake location would not matter
because disk brakes are at approximately the same height above the
ground and presumably will be exposed to an equal amount of road
rubbish. My guess(tm) is the difference in brake pads, where the
softer pads in rim brakes tend to collect more abrasive road debris
than the harder and self cleaning pads used on disk brakes.

If you look at the rims, you might notice that there is more gouging
and wear on the rear rim, than on the front. This is backwards from
normal wear, where the front rim tends to show more wear because of
higher grip pressure. Most of the wear on the rear rim seems to be
from rocks and debris imbedded into the rear brake pads.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Might be that the rider of that bike uses the rear brake a lot to make sliding turns?

I have a bicycle with the rear brake in the same position. I turned that bike into a single-speed with a 12" long handlebar.

https://flic.kr/p/Gwf98X
https://flic.kr/p/Gwfatx
https://flic.kr/p/GtMt7A

It's fun to ride.