Old August 8th 19, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Why did rear derailleur cable move from top to bottom ofchainstay?

On 8/8/2019 3:54 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 7:34:51 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I was looking at a couple of my old bicycle frames with the rear derailleur cable routed along the top of the chainstay. I'm curious now. Why did the rear derailleur cable routing get moved to under the chainstay?

Cheers

I'll ignore the mistakes in your other post (yet again). I'll note just
the bike tech mistakes below.

Andrew told us about when it happened but not why. The rear derailleur cable was moved when the downtube friction shifters were moved to Shimano Brifters in the 70's.

Sorry, that's wrong.

Running the cables under the downtube gave the cables a cleaner run from the head tube to the under bottom bracket plastic runner.

But since the under bottom bracket guides appeared earlier, that's not
the reason.

--
- Frank Krygowski