Old November 20th 14, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default QD wheel spindles.

"Clive George" wrote in message
news
On 20/11/2014 20:05, Ian Field wrote:
Just scrounged a pair of MTB wheels - but they have QD spindles.

My locking up chain isn't long enough to go through both wheels, the
frame and whatever I'm chaining it to.

Is there any technical reason why I couldn't swap the spindles over from
a pair of old damaged wheels?

I'd normally call them axles.

For a traditional wheel, provided they're long enough, the threads match
the cones, and the axle isn't knackered, it'll work.

If its a traditional this and provided that, doesn't really answer the
question.

The spindles I'm hoping to salvage from scrap wheels, have cones on them -
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that those cones on them have
matching threads.