Old November 21st 14, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

Default QD wheel spindles.

On 20/11/2014 21:09, Ian Field wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
news
On 20/11/2014 20:05, Ian Field wrote:
Just scrounged a pair of MTB wheels - but they have QD spindles.

My locking up chain isn't long enough to go through both wheels, the
frame and whatever I'm chaining it to.

Is there any technical reason why I couldn't swap the spindles over from
a pair of old damaged wheels?

I'd normally call them axles.

For a traditional wheel, provided they're long enough, the threads
match the cones, and the axle isn't knackered, it'll work.

If its a traditional this and provided that, doesn't really answer the
question.

My campag QR axles won't work in your hub. Neither will any of the
tandem ones.

I've answered the question as well I can with the information you've
provided.

The spindles I'm hoping to salvage from scrap wheels, have cones on them
- I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that those cones on them
have matching threads.

Easy enough to find out. But I'd check the size and state compared to
your other ones.