Old May 24th 19, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Sealed crank bearings

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 12:15:11 AM UTC-5, Tosspot wrote:
On 22/05/2019 22:49, AK wrote:
It was suggested that I go to a cartridge type of crank bearings when
my "old school ones" wear out.

Does the new type last longer?

I was told it takes special tools for those?

Ime they will last a lot longer, maybe 50% more, and require less
maintenance as well. On the down side, when they do go, you replace the
unit, but since even a good one is ~15USD I wouldn't sweat that.

You'll need a bottom bracket removal tool, basically a splined socket,
5-10 USD.

You will need to measure the dimensions of the old one before ordering a
new one, it can look confusing but you need to know thread type, and widths.

See

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cartridge.html

Imho, stick to the Shimano ones, cheap, last forever.

Thanks a lot.

Andy