Old August 28th 07, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Default Light Theft (solutions — small pocket lights, or heavy duty well secured lights?)

David Johnson wrote:
You know the story. You want to go for a pint in town and its light
when you set out but will be dark by the time you've finished your
"pint". Now I already have a wallet, phone and house keys in my Jeans,
so where am I going to stuff my lights?? I went to the shop and asked
to have Dynamo lights fitted just because I — either rightly or wrongly
— assume they're less attractive to thieves for a number of reasons (one
being they're harder to steal). The shop keeper doesn't seem to think
they're all that good or reliable.

Your man in the shop is talking Bollox(TM). The good ones are (a) good
and (b) reliable. Get the current from a hub dynamo and you've got
about as reliable a light setup as you'll find anywhere, especially if
it uses LED front lights as that way you don't even have to worry about
blowing a bulb.
Roos & I use B&M Oval Plus and D-Toplight front/rear combinations on the
'bent and Roos' commuter, I've got a Basta front on the Brom. They're
very reliable and aren't in the habit of going Walkies, as they're
bolted on and wired in and most thieves probably think dynamos are a bit
wanky too...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK