Old March 7th 17, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

Joerg wrote:

I use a regular wrench, note the length,
calculate the required pull force at the end
and then I use a suitcase scales that my
sister gave me. A digital one with a hook
where you normally lift a suitcase with to
see if it is still under the required 50lbs.
Under $10.

.... really? How do you "mount" it all? Even if
it could be done, isn't this like a poor-man's
torque wrench and much more complicated
at that?

of 40 nm, I know only this is a lot and the
reason I know this is every time I remove
it, it is stuck like, very firmly!

It is a lot. But I thought you Vikings are
all supermen with lots of muscle, exclaiming
a loud "uff da" and off the cassette comes
:-)

Sorry, wrong country. That's the Norwegian
vikings. We on the other hand were clever
merchants even then

On my Shimano cassettes the end piece that
tightens it up has teeth inside so it will
make a loud ratchet sound at the end. I guess
that was done so it won't come loose during
a ride. If the outer sprocket would ever slip
off and turn free while pedaling hard you
could have a major crash. So it better not
come off.

Indeed, I figured it was something with the
casette. The smallest sprockets (two or three?)
are somewhat loose to begin with. Do you know
what is actually making the sound,
functionality aside?

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -