Old March 9th 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Downward facing white lights for safety

On 3/8/2017 2:22 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
My taillight hopped off 5 miles from home at the end of a 500 mile tour. It was dark and the road got narrow and unlit so I strapped my flashlight to the left seatstay, pointed down, illuminating the roadway.

Looking at the result, I thought it did an absolutely great job of improving (creating?) visibility.

A useful product? A legal product? A marketable product? I have searched a few times over the years but found no mention of such a product, nor such a use of a light, nor any patents, nor laws regulating or prohibiting downward-facing lights. There are however as you know a lot of laws about what lights one can have on a vehicle, what color and direction and distance they go, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's illegal I just haven't found it yet.

I think it adds a lot more visibility than a red blinky.

But I'm certain that the "Danger Danger" folks that rail against more
visibility will oppose this idea, even though you aimed it down.

There have been some downward facing lights recently
https://www.wish.com/c/55fbaa522ad06e1c199db3e1.