Old March 7th 17, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

On 3/7/2017 5:07 AM, Duane wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 12:41:56 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
On 06/03/2017 3:19 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Hello again everyone!

Now I've moved on from the Swedish and
Norwegian standard bikes of the 70s into the
most recent of bike technology, namely the
mountain-bike or "MTB"!

I read on the cassette that you should pull it
40 nm. There is even an arrow pointing the way.
It is the well-known way, but OK.

I know there is a tool for this - torque
wrench, right?

I don't have one, but I do have the everyday
half-inch ratchet, and the special socket with
all the teeth (?) -
of 40 nm, I know only this is a lot and the
reason I know this is every time I remove it, it
is stuck like, very firmly!

When I pull, I hear a crash sound three or
four times. This seems to be normal.

I asked the local guru who did bikes since the
80s. He also claimed he was a master after only
two years. Anyway he suggested it was sand!
But I'm not that stupid I don't make the parts
rudimentary clean before I operate them. So it
is not sand. Besides the sound is much to big
to be sand.

Anyway what do you guys make of all this?

Get a torque wrench and tighten it to 40nm.

I have a couple of torque wrenches, but my cassette took does not have a
socket wrench fitting -- so I use a adjustable wrench. Go ahead and hate
on me, but I just give the lock ring a good yank. With the serrations,
loosening is unlikely. But now I feel bad and will go out and find a tool
with a socket wrench fitting.

-- Jay Beattie

No hating. The guy was asking for advice. Best advice is get the right
tool.

Excellent advice but it won't fix his problem as he appears
to have incompatible parts. Adding a 1mm spacer behind low
gear will lock his 11t-start cassette on his pre-11t
cassette body.

Oh, one more note: Lockrings for 11t are smaller OD. The
wrong lockring will interfere with the chain. Just thought
of that after Mr Berg's comment about 'bucket of parts'.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/