Old October 26th 17, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Michelin Power Endurance Tires

On 2017-10-25 21:51, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/25/2017 8:25 PM, James wrote:

Riding to the left of the fog line (right for the USians), where all
the glass and rubbish gets deposited by the passing of motor vehicles,
also multiplies your chances of getting a puncture.

Indeed. Last year or the year before, on one long (for me) ride I like
to do occasionally, I was on a fairly busy highway. A truck came up
behind me not long before my left turn onto a quieter road. I thought "I
can take the lane, but he'll have to slow down before that hill. I'll
give him a break and move to the shoulder."

I was rewarded with a flat tire.Â* As they say, no good deed goes
unpunished.

That is where thick tubes plus liner plus fairly puncture resistant
tires excel.

I'm sure they help, but I'm also sure I don't want to put up with the
additional rolling resistance. I normally ride the portions of the road
swept clear of debris by traffic. I get just a few flats per year, far
too few to bother with any changes that slow me down. Heck, I'm plenty
slow already.

They also let you continue the journey when that dreaded
sign "Pavement ends 200ft" comes up and the road ahead looks like nobody
has maintained it in decades.

I use gravel roads and forest tracks from time to time. Actually, my
last flat was during a ride in our local forest preserve. I was on my
about-town utility 3 speed bike, and made a spur-of-the-moment decision
to cruise the back trails to check on downed trees. The flat was a pinch
flat, not a puncture, and entirely my fault. I knew my tires (1 1/4")
were a bit low.

Yo, Frank, any words of wisdom from the ME in you on the 160 - 203mm
rotor increase in the other thread? I've posted photos of the current
caliper mounts.

Just what I already wrote: I don't think you'll have any problems. AFAIK
most of the cautions about discs and forks apply to installing a disc on
a road fork not designed for the additional stresses.

Yours is a mountain bike suspension fork. It can certainly handle the
imposed moments. But your dropouts and quick release are a potential
problem, as you've already realized.

The mounting posts could, I suppose, be a concern; but I don't
anticipate problems. If you're worried about your mounting posts taking
additional stress, perhaps you could get in the habit of inspecting
them. Watch for cracks at the bottom where the posts stick out of the
main body of the fork.

But this is free advice, done without much computation. It comes with no
warranty.

--
- Frank Krygowski