Old April 12th 21, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default GD cable derailleurs!

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 10:59:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Folks, I think we have to seriously consider the possibility that Tom is
well into dementia. It's sad, and I'm not joking.

In his post about 33 lines above he said "Half of this scientific world
has been changed by the things I have done." But at the end of the
quoted material just above he said "Your world must certainly be small
if what I did seems to you to be the half of the scientific world."

So he can't remember what he very recently said. This example is far
from unique.

I don't know how to deal with someone whose mind is slipping and who
spouts nonsense. I've read that with a family member, one tactic is to
say "Yes, and... " then pivot the conversation to something pleasant and
distracting. Pretend to agree, then deflect. But I can't see that
working here.

Is there a psychologist or therapist in the audience? Again, I'm serious.

At this remove, neither psychology nor therapy is possible, and if it
were possible, it would not be appropriate.

There is nothing to do but to fall back on common courtesy. When
Tommy says something sensible, respond to it. When he burbles word
salad, pretend not to notice.

And don't feel obliged to read every single post. Nobody knows you
are present until you say something, so feigning interest is not only
not required, but rude.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net