Old April 17th 21, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Questions about value of bicycles.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 12:18:48 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Anyone here ever use a carbide lamp? (Astonishingly, I haven't.)

While cleaning the garage a few days ago, I found an orange bag
containing two carbide lamps, a few spare bottoms, and a plastic baby
bottle once used for transporting extra carbide.

Cavers had a lot of uses for lightweight, unbreakable baby bottles in
the sixties. Me, I taped my lunch inside my helmet.

Helmets for cavers weren't the least bit controversial in them days --
aside from being the only way to attach your lamp (there's a slot in
the helmet and a tab on the back of the lamp), anybody who thought
they were un-needed changed his mind right quick when we handed him a
loaner. It helped that cave mud indelibly dyed every scratch and ding
a bright contrast to the plastic.

I think I saw the helmets a decade or so ago. Might still be around.

But *those* lights definitely wouldn't work on bicycles -- no glass in
front of the flame.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net