Old April 27th 21, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default I am that out of date

On 4/26/2021 10:45 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 22:39:58 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 08:26:59 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Nope. It also has gold plated gears, chain, disc brakes, and other
moving parts which are likely to shed gold while riding. This is not
a bicycle intended to be ridden, but rather is intended to be seen.
https://www.beautifullife.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/11/img_big/01_house_of_solid_gold_24k_gold_02.jpg
https://www.beautifullife.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/11/img_big/01_house_of_solid_gold_24k_gold_01.jpg
However, it appears to be a Photoshop job, not a real working bicycle.
Or, if I'm wrong, it may have been gold powder coated, gold painted,
or gold plated like 3CPO.

Or it could be titanium nitride, which would actually work.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Titanium nitride (TiN) tends to have a matt
yellow-gold color:
https://www.google.com/search?q=titanium+nitride&tbm=isch
while genuine gold is more glossy and has slightly more red color:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gold+plating&tbm=isch
It's applied by physical vapor, cathodic arc, or electron beam
deposition in a vacuum. Because it's a ceramic, it's very hard and
therefore not very flexible. However, since the coating is only 0.001
to 0.004 mm thick, it might survive some bending. I've never tried
it:
https://www.wallworkht.co.uk/content/tin/

My best guess(tm) is still a photoshop job because some of the odd
shaped steel bicycle components are difficult to gold plate. For best
quality on steel parts, the item is first copper or brass plated, then
nickel plated, and finally gold plated. Gold can be directly plated
onto aluminum but looks awful unless the aluminum is first polished to
a mirror finish. I also eliminated the application of gold leaf,
which is possible for the large smooth surfaces, but difficult for odd
shapes like gears, levers, and pedals.

Also, Photoshop is a common tool for graphic arts gold bikes:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PL3dL

But you really, really wouldn't want to get that sculpture dirty.

Not a problem. I'll just use the Photoshop eraser tool to clean up
the bicycle.

I'm a customer of TiN vapor deposition and yes it's 'satin'
not mirror-shiny.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/NITRIDE.JPG

There was a spate of glitzy bicycles at trade shows in 1985
with one micron gold plate on aluminum parts which were
indeed impressively shiny. That's gold plate on polished
aluminum, not layered 'durable plate'. Excessive polishing
wipes the gold off the high spots so I'd say 'just for looks'.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/