Old May 25th 21, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Weights of my bikes

On Mon, 24 May 2021 23:30:38 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sat, 22 May 2021 02:28:05 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
wrote:

In tourist locations like hostel, B&B holiday apartments etc. they often offer the use of a washing machine and a dryer. In hotels they have a washing service. In a family household however a washing machine and a dryer is considered a necessity of life. I can't imagine a family household with a couple of kids using a laundromat. If a washing machine breaks there is a panic and it has to be repaired or replaced within a couple of days otherwise the whole system breaks down. We have dry cleaners though but laundromats nah.

If you have a couple of kids, that's when you need a laundromat. Fill
up a half dozen or so machines, go back to the first one and put it
into the dryer, when all are in dryers, start folding the first load,
all done and dusted in two or three hours.

As opposed to the entire day I intend to spend on washing clothes for
two people for one week strikethe day after tomorrow/striketoday.
And strikeI'll/strike have strikea lot of the/strike folding
to do strikeon the day aftertomorrow.

I didn't buy my own machine until the water heater at the laundromat
broke down and the owner declined to have it repaired. When you put
your dish towels into a washer last used by heaven knows who to wash
heaven knows what, cold water just doesn't cut it.

We should have brought that thirty-year-old Maytag with us when we
moved. My current smart-alec washing machine refuses to allow me to
use hot water. For a while I tried to fool it by shutting off the
cold water, but the timing is tricky because it checks that cold water
is available before starting to fill, and the valves are really hard
to get at.

The old wringer washer provided in the trailer park where we spent
winters after Dad retired is starting to look pretty good.

My mother had a wringer washing machine and to the best of my
knowledge she used it until she died. Which would have been something
like 60 years - assuming that she got it about the time us kids were
born.

I wonder whether a modern washing machine will last 60 years?

They are still being made, but the price is higher than a kite's back,
and I have my suspicions about the quality.

--
Cheers,

John B.