Old October 1st 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jay Beattie

Default Sheldon Brown's 2007 Interbike Report

On Sep 30, 3:47 pm, Chalo wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

The Civia frame, with all those
molded-in guides and easy provision for hub or derailer setups, looks
like it would be a sweet commuter.

It's a nice-looking frame, but boy does it carry a heavy tariff for
those neat cable guides. $1900 for the single speed complete bike!
I'm sure some of the seemingly unnecessary expense is for the Alfine
parts, but wow.

Cycle commuters are pragmatic folk. It's one thing to sell a $2000-
$3000 bike to a fashion-seeking tool for use as a plaything, but a
transportational bike is a value-driven purchase. I think that Surly
serves the _high_ end of that market, but QBP evidently thinks it's
the low end. I wish them luck, but I predict an indifferent market
reception.

I looked at the Civia web-page and thought the bike was butt ugly --
at least in that turd brown color. I suppose a swanky single-speed
commuter might appeal to the same set who bought the Merlin Newsboy
(whoever they may be), but the Civia is not nearly swanky enough IMO.
If it is trying to appeal to real commuters, forget it. Personally, I
have never needed a super-special commuting bike. A good solid bike
with right-sized tires, fenders, lights and a good can of spray lube
has always been enough. -- Jay Beattie.