Old May 6th 08, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

Default Can Disk Brakes flip you over the handle bars?

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:49:12 -0700 (PDT), TBerk
may have said:

Obviously I would assume they could if you clamp down fast enough.

Bloody unlikely.

I ask because I bruised some rib bones this week when I stomped the
front brake and *surprise* I found out later my front rim has a bubble
bend in it from (I guess) a pot hole at some recent time.

Made for a portion of the rim that just wasn't going to get past the
brake pads, not while I was trying to actually use said brakes.

It would seem a better setup would be one unaffected by a slightly
bent rim, or so I wonder.

While this is one of the minor advantages of keeping the braking
surface separate from the rim, it's seldom enough of a factor to
justify the added complexity. Good rim brakes at nearly any level
will produce more grab than typical OEM-supplied disc brakes on
low-end and midrange bikes anyway. To toss the rider over the bars,
the wheel must instantaneously cease motion relative to the fork
without breaking traction or bending the fork, which is seldom going
to occur with *any* brake system. I had it happen to me with a stick
jam through the spokes of the front wheel on an ancient
fender-equipped bike decades ago, when I was a lot lighter, but
generally an unexpectedly high braking effort is just going to throw
the rider off the seat and forward against the bars. To go over them,
there needs to be a couple of other factors present.

TBerk
it would have been funny if it hadn't hurt so much at the time

BTDT.