Old May 6th 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TBerk

Default Can Disk Brakes flip you over the handle bars? - RECAP

This has gotten to be a long thread so let me recap a bit:

- The rim has a 'bubble' bend in it, presumably from a hard hit aginst
a sharp edge, pothole, something.

- I _was_ doing a quick stop manuver on purpouse, but of coure I
hadn't counted on the deformation of the rim which led to an
equivelent 'stick in the rim' action.

- Unrelated to the rim dents, this used bike (found stripped and
abandoned in a field) which I found and rebuilt with what I later
discovered was a set of bent forks. That part is on me to have not
really noticed until the paint began to flake off.

- Hence my interest in new forks which opens up an opportunity to
'upgrade' to a disk brake set up.

Meanwhile we have gotten some thread drift, some 'personalities', and
some actually useful info. Typical Usenet.

The frame itself, (with the rack and seat post with a shock in it),
are pretty decent. Of course the front derailer needs a new shifter;
it's broken (I dislike twist shifters) but over all the thing gets the
job done.

To get a new bike (one I'd feel OK about buying new) means spending
fix'r-up'r car money so I'll give this one another level of rebuild
and save my pennies for now.

Dems me thinks.
TBerk