Old June 3rd 16, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Shimano headset with hose clamp (for Frank)

On 2016-06-02 21:39, James wrote:
On 03/06/16 10:24, Joerg wrote:
As promised here is the pic of the hose clamp "solution" for a Shiomano
headset that used to come loose all the time:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Hoseclamp.JPG

Some day I'll re-do it by underlaying something up front so the whole
thing is flush with the bottom ring. Long story short I rode 60mi with
that and this included dirt roads, bush paths and dilapidated highway
surfaces. In the past the headset was guaranteed to come loose on each
of them. No more. So I guess we can conclude that this redneck fix works.

Ok, it doesn't look great and I'll probably get a new headset some day
but for right now the problem is ... gone.

Ghastly. Fix it properly. I've had one of those headsets. It didn't
come loose all the time, no matter what roads I rode on.

Old redneck wisdom: Kludges last the longest :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/