Old May 30th 18, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default randonneur

On Mon, 28 May 2018 11:06:49 -0700, Mark J.
wrote:

* Notes: I use "touring bike" to mean a bike intended for multi-day
trips carrying camping gear. I use "randonneur" or "rando bike" to
mean a bike intended for brevets - 200 to 1200 km mostly
self-supported rides carrying the bare minimum for survival and ride
completion.

Even there the standards are widely variable. My buddy Doug did a 600
km brevet on a racing bike with 23 mm tires, a patch kit and tire lever
and about $20 in cash. He was perfectly happy with that. I am not such
a minimalist. I'd have had a handlebar bag with two spare tubes, patch
kit, a compact tool kit (fits in an Altoids can but is surprisingly
complete), maybe a rain jacket, some food, money and ID, cell phone...
and my bike has fenders, generator lighting, wideish tires, etc.