Old April 2nd 18, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On 4/2/2018 11:37 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/2/2018 10:12 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/2/2018 5:01 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 3:15:08 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

How's that 100+ year old worldwide Heroin ban going?

--
Andrew Muzi

Much better than that 0 year ban on alcohol.Â* Alcohol is
far and away the number one drug killer.Â* Alcohol kills
far more people than all the other drugs combined.Â* But
its not banned at all.Â* Its promoted.Â* Except maybe in a
few countries around the world.Â* If heroin was not banned,
and promoted as strongly as alcohol, it might kill off as
many people as alcohol.

I don't think there's any question that heroin would kill
off FAR more people if it were as common and as promoted as
alcohol.

Â*From what I find from quick online searches, there are
about 227 million alcohol users in the U.S., and about 88000
alcohol related deaths.

There are about a million heroin users and about 15000
heroin deaths per year in the U.S.

So for alcohol, 2600 users per death. For heroin, 66 users
per death. Heroin seems to be about 40 times more deadly.

Also, let's keep in mind that, like it or not, alcohol has
been a normal part of human society pretty much since there
have been humans. Certainly since there have been settled
villages. Fermentation is a natural process, and its
products are enjoyed even by animals. Heroin is very, very
different.

Huh? IFTFYÂ* Nothing's more natural than opium. Mammals just love the stuff.

Compare fermentation (beer, wine) to distilled 190 proof Everclear and
then opium to Heroin. 'Natural' may not be an apt or useful term here.

A) Opium is not heroin, and alcohol is not Everclear. Let's be clear
about what we're discussing. (Note I haven't mentioned fentanyl or other
stronger synthetics yet.)

B) Opium may be pretty natural, but it's not a universal part of human
culture. Alcohol is. Some even claim that alcohol produced civilization.
http://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/how-...-archaeologist
I think that's extreme, but still, I don't think anyone's made a
similar claim for opium.

--
- Frank Krygowski