Old April 2nd 18, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On 4/2/2018 8:14 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 07:14:03 -0700, sms
wrote:

You're ideally placed to perform a short term and short
range survey. Just add up the number of laws, regulations,
ordinances, executive orders, and judicial opinions enacted during
your term of office, and compare that with changes in the
aforementioned quality of life metrics.

Our City just passed a Social Host Drinking Ordinance. Our well-meaning
Teen Commission promoted this ordinance. On the first reading, I went
along and voted yes, but in the intervening two weeks I did some
investigation, and I was the sole "no" vote for the second reading
(ordinances require two readings before they become law).

I voted no for the following reasons:

1. Section 25658.2 of the California Business and Professions Code
already covers underage drinking with stricter penalties.

2. The Santa Clara County District Attorney will not prosecute violators
of a city ordinance.

3. The instances of such underage drinking violations, under the current
law, are exceedingly rare, about three per year.

4. I would rather focus on education than legislation on this issue.

5. I am the newbie so I was the only council person that actually read
the proposed ordinance before voting on it. There was a glaring mistake
they made when they copied an ordinance from another city.