Old February 18th 05, 11:36 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Michael Dart wrote:
Got off early today and went up to the Dreamy Draw section of Phoenix
Mountains Preserve. I started off intending to ride Trail 100 to the end at
Tatum Blvd. and back. But Trail 220 caught my eye and I started following
it. Up some switch backs and over a rise the trail continued and forked a
couple times ("When you come to a fork in the road... take it!") It became
unnamed (maybe Trail 8) with marker posts with nothing on them. I saw a
trail climbing up the side of the peak and decided to follow it for the
view. It turned out to be 1A again, and by prior experience I knew I was in
for a "technical" ride, but nothing like National Trail on So. Mtn. It went
up and over a ridge on some switchbacks with some of the most beautiful
cribwall work I've ever seen. I topped out on a rock outcropping with a
memorial bench on it and an amazing view. The ride down from there required
quite a bit of hike a bike as it was severely washed out. Now comes the
point where I should've turned back but didn't want to carry the bike up the
stuff I just came down. I was committed to this beautiful valley where the
trail turned to Trail 302. It was an interpretive trail where I learned
about "Teddy Bear cholla" and "Ocotillo" (which was in bloom btw). Trail
302 went up and over a ridge where I saw some "familiar" ramada's below. I
rode/carried my bike down to them only to realize I wasn't anywhere near
Dreamy Draw. I looked it up later and found I was in the Squaw Peak area.
By this time it's after 4pm and threatening rain. The only trail out on
302 was the Summit Trail which is closed to bikes. I wasn't about to go
back so I decided to hit the streets (a very scary proposition in Phoenix
this time on a weekday) I stuck to the neighborhoods and keeping the
mountain to my right I finally came to a dead end with a trail head on it.
It turned out to be 1A again and a short climb over the shoulder of the
mountain I was back in Dreamy Draw again where I had ridden a few weeks ago
with Gee-Dub. So I think I've seen most of the east end of the Phoenix
Mountains Preserve. I'm sure Gary will get a chuckle from this. ;^)

Ocotillo blooms http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885326

"Arizona" poppy's? http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885324

Nice cribwall http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885328

Obligatory "bike leaning on rock" pic
http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/39885333 ;^)

Mike - I love riding out here.

Damn, I wish there were more comp exec jobs out there!

Still searching!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws