Old September 11th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default selecting a BB

I'm upgrading the drivetrain of my '85 Mondonico to Campy 10 speed. I
have a very recent Record 10 speed double crank, and the frame has
Italian (duhh!) threading, and I know it needs a 102 mm spindle.

There aren't many BB choices, but still ... should I get Record?
Chorus? Token? Phil? Light weight is significant but more important
is durability, especially when higher cost seens to get lower
durability, as with a Record.

Is this durability concern just a smokescreen? I won't be racing the
bike and I'm not hard on things. Sometimes I pedal hard enought to
flex the BB but not usually. I'm certainly not a sprint monster.

I'm tending toward a Chorus or a Token, mainly due to price and
weight. But if there's no liability to putting in a Record I might
get a low-mile used one if I believe I found one.

What about Token durability? Does everything fit right relative to
original Campy? Is there an extra benfit, perhaps chainline
adjustment?

You get my drift!

Ken