Old July 11th 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Default Selecting a Bike

Katuzo wrote:

Doctor told me to get a bike. Consumers Reports say Giant FCR3 is good
for exercising ( I'm 57, 5'7", 170 pounds). When I went to the LBS,
and told them I wanted a bike that was also comfortable, and could
take some bumps (be easy on my butt + back), handle curbs, be fitted
with baskets and perhaps even be ridden in a campground occasionally
or a dirt path, they told me to go with something like a Giant Sedona
or a Cannondale Comfort 5 instead.

The difference between the Giant FCR3 and the Giant Sedona is that the
latter bike has 26" wheels. Such wheels can be fitted with fatter
tires, and they are naturally stronger.

When I talked to the people at
work, they all seem to like low end mountain bikes like the Iron Horse
Warrior 3, except for one buddy who got a $100 dual suspension bike
whose bearing failed in a coupled of yrs. So right now, I basically
confused with conflicting advice. It seems that big tires are the way
to gain comfort but exercise bikes don't seem to have them, and if the
bike isn't comfortable I know I won't ride it.

Whether you'll be more comfortable on a so-called mountain bike or a
comfort bike is a matter of personal preference and how far you intend
to ride at one time. Comfort bikes are great for short rides at low
effort levels, but they impede the process of strong athletic
riding.

Stay away from department store bikes of any kind. They are generally
made in only one size, so you most likely won't be able to find one
that fits you properly. They are almost always incompetently
assembled and made of the cheapest parts and materials available.
Many worthy bike shops won't service them because they are more
trouble than they are worth.

I really would like a
dual suspension, even if it's used + a little scratched.

No you wouldn't. It's not worth it unless you intend to ride on very
harsh surfaces. You'll waste a lot of muscle power bouncing the bike
on its suspension, but you probably won't find the ride much more
pleasant than a normal fat-tire bike on a normal road surface. Dual
suspension bikes require a lot more service over time than rigid frame
bikes do, and they cost a lot more for any given level of quality.

Simple is better. For comfort, fat tires at low pressure are
beneficial, but large diameter wheels are also helpful. You can have
both if you get a bike with 29" wheels (that's a 700c road-bike-sized
rim with a 2"+ mountain bike sized tire on it). The Redline D440 29er
is a good and cost-effective option if you want multiple gears. The
Redline Monocog 29er is good if you are interested in a single speed
bike.

Make sure the bike fits you acceptably well. You should see to it
that the handlebars are no lower than the height of the saddle, and
preferably a few inches higher, if comfort is of paramount
importance. Lower handlebars are for efficiency at high speeds at the
expense of comfort. And take care to get a saddle you can live with;
most originally equipped saddles are terrible.

Chalo