Old December 17th 03, 09:00 AM
Peter Clinch

Default Selecting a new saddle

Patrick Herring wrote:

The point about Brooks saddles, in case the OP was wondering, is that
they /are/ hard, relatively, but the leather gets to be shaped exactly
right which gives you a much more even pressure across the said
geometry, which is much more comfortable on long rides and just
generally.

But the leather needs to be in more or less the right place to start
with. Roos doesn't like the Brooks on my Brompton because one of her
sit bones isn't properly on the saddle, and the fact she gets to choose
which one doesn't make up for the basic problem!

You have to look after the leather though.

It's not that hard though: Proofide it once in a while ("while" is
measured in months), stick a Tesco bag over it if you leave it parked in
the rain and that's been quite enough for all of mine (B17 on the MTB,
Brompton one and a B66 which has transferred from my old tourer to the
freight bike).
My B66 is the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat on as it was more or
less the right shape before wearing in more exactly to me. But for
*real* comfort the recumbent sprung, padded armchair on the
Streetmachine is an order of magnitude better.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital