Old October 29th 05, 10:52 PM
Dave E

Default 40 Years, 40 Miles...

"Barry Hartigan" wrote in message
news:hLN8f.3818$UF4.2755@fed1read02...
Man, I wish I lived in a metric system country (which would be every other
country). Then I could have rode 40 km instead of 40 miles.

Bless Australia. However it's not all good. We have to report our golf
drives in meters. :-)

I have vowed to stay out of backwards shape too, but I'll forego the leg
shaving bit.

Isn't that the *real* reason we all cycle? :-)

Three years no riding? I went about two years, my bike was stolen and then
I went on a year's vacation to Mesopotamia and didn't get a new bike till
after I had been back for a bit. It must have been tough to get back on.
That's why I've gone to doing some distance road biking. It builds up a
bit, and takes the edge of the lactic acid on the trails.

Well, it's the morning of the day after and it's the top half of the body
that requires replacement. Under those bright red strips on the arms and
legs (major sunburn) the legs are doing fine but the upper body needs some
serious tlc, massage etc. I had forgotten how much of a workout you get in
technical riding. So yes, it was tough to be back into it yesterday, but I
suspect today will be a bit tougher - hobbling around like a real old fart!

40 is just really a psychological milestone. Mind over matter. If you
don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Yes - true! Like you I'm sure, I don't at all mind the pain. Hopefully a
bit of pain signalls a forward step in condition, and hopefully a bit less
pain next time (very soon!!).

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney)