Old September 21st 15, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Thunked my helmet a fourth time

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 6:54:43 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

I didn't follow that at all. Each year about 2% of the traffic deaths and injuries are bicyclists.

Each year about 14% of the traffic deaths and injuries are pedestrians.

All the rest are motor vehicles.

Statistically there is no difference per cycling mile between those who wear and those who do not wear helmets.

I could go into great detail about helmets since I started learning about them as the Safety Director of the American Federation of Motorcyclists about the time Bell started and I had some long discussions with people at Bell.. I am also an engineer and a scientist. I wrote one of the few peer reviewed papers on bicycle helmets.

Helmets are capable of VERY little and at the cost of setting you up for two other kinds of killer injuries.

I wear one because they are good for one thing - keeping your head from getting gravel rash in a mild crash. In harder crashes they can cause severe concussions or broken necks. Funny thing - evolution didn't design your head like a helmet for a reason.

The majority of accidents to adults are the fault of the car. An approaching driver making a sudden left turn. And a car approaching from behind, accelerating to pass you and then suddenly turning right.

The left turn danger is MUCH reduced if you wear bright clothing. This both makes you much easier to see to the approaching driver plus it makes it more difficult for the driver to guess your speed making him think you are faster than he might otherwise think.

The "right hook" is impossible to prevent. But you can be aware of the sounds of a driver about to pull this dumb stunt.