Old July 12th 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default 27 inch tires make a comeback

"ZBicyclist" wrote in message ...
| "When Steve Flagg reviewed his inventory reports recently, one item
| jumped off the page-27-inch tires. "We were totally unprepared for
| the demand in 27-inch tires," said Flagg, president of Quality
| Bicycle Products.
|
| "Wayne D. Gray, vice-president of KHS/FreeAgent Bicycles, noticed
| the same trend. "We're seeing a lot of demand for them. It's people
| taking their old Schwinn Varsity out of the garage and to a shop for
| new tires and a tuneup." "
|

| Sent to me by Bob Matter (who posts on a lot of sites, but not
| r.b.m.)
| http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/1558.html

The "story" isn't about 27" tires making some sort of a comeback. Rather, it's about people taking old bikes out of the garage and wanting to ride them again. A noble gesture, but most of these bikes are way past their shelf life, and usually aren't worth bringing back to life. You could spend a whole lot of money fixing up some of those old relics, and usually still not have something as practical or comfortable as a common hybrid.

The most-common issue with the Schwinn Varsity, as seen a couple times/week at the shop? People not understanding that the pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire relates to installation on a decent-quality rim with a hooked edge. The old Schwinns had smooth sidewalls on the rims, and a tire rated at 90psi will likely blow out at 60psi.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com